The Viscountship of Cabrera was organised around a network of castles and fortified houses, which were the seats of the political and military power of the medieval nobility. This defensive system was complemented by the presence of several walled villages and watchtowers.
The earliest documentary reference we have for Torcafelló Castle dates from the year 1106, when it was linked to the Cabrera lineage, although thanks to archaeological excavations carried out between 1999 and 2006, we know that its history dates back to the 11th century. During the 12th century, several important renovations were carried out, but a century later the castle was abandoned and fell into ruin. In the 15th century, the Chapel of St George was built on top of its remains, a structure that was militarily adapted during the fortification of the hill in the context of the Second Carlist War in the mid-19th century, and which was used as a tower for a military optical telegraph line. The Maçanet de la Selva History Workshop began its restoration in 1988.Subscribe to the newsletter